Translate

Distracted

Setting the bar high for being a faithful servant of Christ, Paul avows to press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 3:14)

As I devote this vessel of mine to be that faithful servant of Christ, my life was never free from the distractions of this world. The more I strive to live for Christ, the harder it gets to keep my focus away from the cares of this world. There will always be a constant battle against the rulers of the darkness of this world where pleasures of the flesh reveal unperceived weaknesses. (Ephesians 6:12)

The adversary in the force is a master of sedulous distraction blinding my focus on Christ, my ultimate prize. He cunningly uses disappointments, insecurities, fears, doubts, rejection, and other life’s difficulties as His fiery darts to make me faint in my hope on Jesus Christ. Shamefully, I would find my thoughts succumbed countless times to these beguilements.  

It was a struggle. I felt crushed and wounded. But never defeated.

For the past months, the Psalmist song in Psalm 42 has been the content of my prayer as I wrestle with my distractions. Agonizing to reclaim the joy of my salvation, I traced my feet back to the footprints of Jesus. It was then that it dawned on me all these times God never left my side. Even in times of my weakness and failures God was there holding me. And though I stumbled, the Lord in His lovingkindness reminded me of my higher calling.

Struggling to prevail over the distractions of this world, the Lord provided me these protective coverings:

The Word of God
“Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked. And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:” (Ephesians 6:16-17)

As I deal with my distractions, I realized I have not been filling my mind with the Word of God giving way to the things of this world to preoccupy my thoughts. I needed to spend more time reading the Bible regardless.

Psalms and Hymns and Spiritual Songs
“Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.” (Colossians 3:16)

Singing has been a habit for me. I sing almost every time, even while working. Humming keeps away my boredom as well. When facing distractions singing Psalms, Hymns and Spiritual Songs refocuses my eyes on Jesus and the price He paid for my salvation. It is my sweet moment with the Lord when I sing His promises in a beautiful melody. How wonderful that God provided powerful sacred songs to lift up the weary soul!  

Fellowship with the Believers
“Wherefore comfort yourselves together, and edify one another, even as also ye do.” 
(I Thessalonians 5:11)

Whenever I feel drowned with the world’s disarray, the Lord would lead me to Christians whose utmost desire is to love God and the things that are of God. Their passion for Christ calls my attention to redirect my affections on things above rather than gaining the world. Being in the fellowship with these Christians is a true blessing in times of confusion and distraction.


This is a battle I have to overcome on a daily basis. A victory today may not be tomorrow. However, the Name of Jesus calling me to be His faithful servant every day remains the same. I have to press on ardently with my eyes fixed on Christ if I am to fulfill His divine purpose in my life.








Comments

  1. What a beautiful entry! God bless your walk with Him. May it flourish in every season of your life.

    Keep on singing and praising Him.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts