Translate

Emptied


“Come and follow me.”

It is a call that rings out to me. It is an open invitation from Jesus himself.

A call to His true disciple.

A disciple of Jesus has countless blessings to enjoy. One of which is the great opportunity to have an intimate relationship with the King of kings, the Lord of lords, the Almighty God, the Everlasting Father, the Prince of Peace. (Isaiah 9:6; Revelation 17:14)

Another blessing a disciple of Jesus can enjoy is the privilege to walk the path of life side by side with the Good Shepherd, the Light of the World, the Sun of Righteousness, the Resurrection and the Life. (Malachi 4:2; John 8:12; John 10:11; John 11:25)

At His Name, every knee will bow and every tongue shall confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, the glory of God the Father. A disciple of Jesus will carry that Name, which is above every name. (Philippians 2:9, 10&11)


Wonderful, isn't it? But, that's not what the young rich man felt when he heard the call of Jesus for discipleship.


Sorrowful.


He went his way sorrowfully. (Matthew 19:22)


This young rich man has been living his life honorably by strictly following the commandments and statutes found in the Scriptures. Yet, just being good is not sufficient to be a disciple of Jesus.


"What lack I yet?" 


It appears that the young rich man depends on his ability to keep his standard of morals to be counted in heaven as he poses the question to Jesus. To follow Jesus and be His disciple, Jesus Christ stated the precondition clearly, "Whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he cannot be my disciple." (Luke 14:33)


Jesus wants us to empty ourselves first.

With his great possession, the young rich man has been living his life for himself. He cannot afford to lose everything or give to the poor to gain treasure in heaven. He would not let go of his decent life in exchange for Jesus. He didn't even try. Instead, he walked away.

I can identify with this young rich man. In reality, it is not easy to give up the things I spent my life earning. Undeniably, it would be a tough decision for me to give up my dreams or let go of my selfish ambitions. I would need incredible strength to make that choice in my life.

Jesus Christ emptied Himself first.


Before turning away from answering the call of Jesus for discipleship, let us first survey the Cross of Calvary. 

Who was up there hanging on the Cross? 

It was Jesus, who left His throne in Heaven and took upon a form of a servant to be equal with men. He had to deny His deity to fulfill the will of His Father. He obediently suffered, bled and died as the atoning sacrifice for the sin of the world.  He had to do so He could be the Savior of sinners. (Philippians 2:5-8; I John 4:10)

Being the perfect example, Jesus already emptied Himself first so we can have His infinite strength to follow Him. 

Answering the call of Jesus for discipleship, I must purpose in my heart to deny myself and take up my cross for His cause. I have to empty myself if I want Christ to fill my life with His blessings. I need to let go of my ambitions, my goals, my desires, and my plans, giving God total control of my life's direction. I should forsake all riches, fame, or even achievements this world offers if I would choose a life fully surrendered to Jesus. 
I cannot call Jesus my Lord if I cannot give Him the entirety of my life. 

Who am I to refuse to empty myself for my Lord and Savior?


Haduan Falls


Comments

Popular Posts