Translate

Hiking with kids


I can still remember my very first hiking experience. I was an intermediate grade-schooler when my parents took me out for hiking. In the mountains of Olongapo, I survived my first strenuous trail to the summit. Since then, hiking has become part of my life.

 
Ate Ednalyn
Planning for my next hike, my Ate (older sister) invited the kids to join us. I’ve never hiked with kids before, and these kids have never gone hiking before.

That would be fun, I thought.

The kids were ecstatic when their parents went along with us and even helped me out with the arrangements. They were so excited that they didn’t sleep the whole night before the hike. 


Arriving at Maysawa Circuit located at Tanay, Rizal, we trekked the craggy trail for more than an hour before climbing Mt. Sapari. We started the hike at 6am. With the cool breeze accompanied by drizzling rain, the hike was quite easy. Well, for me. But not for them.

     
Dean, 16

Halfway to the first viewpoint, they almost couldn’t drag their feet forward. They kept on asking for a five-minute break. We had to stop every now and then and wait for them to catch their breaths. Being burned out from hiking is very new to them.  

  
Gloria, 19
Finding ourselves on track to Mt. Binutasan, they were almost fainting down. Each step was getting heavier. Legs were shaking. Keeping the balance suddenly became challenging. There was even one of them who couldn’t help but cry because of exhaustion.



Even so, I admire these kids because of their character.


   
Lemian, 13
These kids were ready to come to the aid when someone was in need. I watched them hold hands to keep each other steady while enduring the ascending slopes of the hill. From the start to the end of the trail, they supported each other by cheering up those who needed comfort. I would hear them laugh in their juvenescence in spite of being worn out. They were willing to share their food with everyone. They have shown kindness by serving and protecting each other on their own accord.  

     
LJ, 10
We were moving forward at a very slow pace. They could have given up, but they didn’t. They continued on, regardless. The trail was not easy for them, and yet, they never complained. Rather, they took the time to appreciate the beauty of nature around them. 

After all the struggles, they have reached their first summit. They made it to the top!

  
Patrick, 15

In the first flush of success, they were overwhelmed by the grandeur of the scenic view featuring Mt. Maynoba, Mt. Batolusong, Mts. Irid, Mts. Tukduang Banoi, and most of all the Sierra Madre Mountain Range.


Blown away by their accomplishment, they instantly forgot all the hardships they have gone through. As I watched them enjoy the picturesque sight of the mountain tops, the words of Paul to Timothy came to my mind:

Thou therefore endure hardness, as a good soldier of Jesus Christ. (II Timothy 2:3)


We didn't get to view the sea of clouds but were able to catch a glimpse of the rainbow.

Their first hiking experience is early training for them to learn real endurance. Well, they were down in the mouth when they realized that they had to go down the mountain for another 4 hours. It took us the whole day to complete the entire course. But, hey, they endured up to the finish line. 






Comments

Popular Posts