Translate

Flight Z2 287



I could barely see the city lights below. Surrounded by thick clouds with a series of lightning flashes here and there, the captain announced that we're approaching another area of turbulence and that we should remain seated with our seat belts on. It's probably the longest plane ride I've ever had... so far.

Stuck in the aircraft cabin full of interesting passengers with different hair colors, I didn't mind hearing the wailing infant who was feeling uncomfortable at such an altitude of 36,000 meters.

A few minutes later, the ladies in red started passing out a T.M.6 form we would be submitting to the Thai Immigration Bureau upon our arrival. While filling in the requested information, an appetizing aroma filled the room as the red-lipped ladies began serving meals and beverages around.

It was quarter past 9:00 in the evening when I looked at my watch. There was nothing to see outside the window. For a moment, I felt the distance. Far from the difficult circumstances I've been facing. This disappointing failure that suffocated me. This You-Must-Go-Through section in my chapter.

As King Solomon wisely summed it up, "To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven." (Ecclesiastes 3)

Though clueless of the reason God has behind all these, I tried to cope with my situation. But there are questions I couldn't stop myself from asking. Why am I suffering like this? How can I bear this burden? What are you trying to accomplish with my pain? Lord, this weight is too heavy on me.

Enduring hard times, these questions stayed in my thoughts.

I was rehearsing these same questions again in my head when I noticed the silence. The mommy was finally able to put her crying baby to sleep. Even the blonde guy, who caught my attention earlier because of the uncased blue guitar he was holding on his shoulders, has gone to sleep. I wanted to take a nap, as well. But, the questions in my mind. Suddenly, they felt familiar. It almost felt like it has a voice of its own. And I could almost hear that voice.

Having the urge to search for that voice, I went to my Bible. Then, I found Numbers 11.

The children of Israel were complaining in the middle of the wilderness. God provided them manna for food, but they wanted the meat they had in Egypt. It must have been very difficult for the man whom God chose to lead them out from the bondage of slavery to hear all the whining of hundreds of people. Distressed by their murmurs, Moses turned to God and asked Him tons of questions. Questions that are almost similar to mine.

Wherefore hast thou afflicted thy servant? And, wherefore have I not found favor in thy sight that thou layest the burden of all this people upon me? Have I conceived all these people? Have I begotten them that thou shouldest say unto me, Carry them in thy bosom as a nursing father beareth the sucking child unto the land which thou swarest unto the fathers? Whence should I have flesh to give unto all these people? For they weep unto me saying, Give us flesh that we may eat. I am not able to bear all these people alone, because it is too heavy for me. And if thou deal thus with me, kill me, I pray thee, out of hand, if I have found favor in thy sight. And let me not see my wretchedness.

Just like Moses, we question God when things go out of our control. When we don't understand the challenges that come our way, we doubt God. When we find ourselves in a tough position, we forget how mighty and powerful God is.

Is the LORD's hand waxed short? 

God responded with a question as a declaration of His omnipotence when Moses couldn't comprehend how the LORD will perform the impossible. In the same way, I was reminded to expect victory in Christ when facing the tests of life. Because in times of trouble, I can be sure that the LORD's hand is my rock, my fortress, my deliverer, my strength, my buckler, the horn of my salvation, and my high tower.

The silence was interrupted when the captain made an announcement for our final descent. In a few minutes, we will be landing at Don Mueang International Airport.

Comments

Popular Posts