Translate

Maddox's cherry eye surgery

I thought I was well-prepared for this day, the day Maddox undergoes a cherry eye surgery. According to the vet, cherry eye is a prolapsed third eyelid, which happens when the small ligament that holds this tissue in place either stretches or breaks. If left untreated, this condition can lead to complications.

"It's just a minor operation," the vet reassured me when she saw my worried face. I was trying to be calm, but when Maddox heard the puppy's whimpers in the operating room, his body started shaking. It's as if he knew he's going to be the next one on that table. 

My chest tightened when I heard his whistle-like cry during the operation. He was in pain, and I could sense he wanted me to hold him. I remembered that morning when I fell in love with him. It was his very first time to open his eyes. He was just a one-month old pup. But his eyes were already tantalizing. I love it whenever his beautiful pair of eyes would look at me.

Though the surgery doesn't guarantee a complete success, it is essential to treat the cherry eye in dogs right away. While Maddox was going through this cherry eye surgery, Luke 6:41 and 42 came to my mind. In this passage, Jesus is pointing out how quickly we look at others' flaws but fail to see our own imperfections. We easily criticize others when we should be dealing with our shortcomings first. Rebuking the hypocrites, Jesus wants us to see our need to have "I" surgery. We need to undergo surgical removal of that unhealthy habit of being an eye-inspector of others. The Surgeon is always ready to discuss with us His plan for treatment. But we must first allow Him to point out our own deficiencies, spiritual failures, and sin...  not someone else's faults.

And with a proud heart, it's going to be a painful surgery. 

I was reflecting on these thoughts when the vet brought Maddox out from the operating room. Thankfully, it went well. I was so relieved to see his beautiful eyes again. 


Documenting Maddox's cherry eye surgery






Comments

Popular Posts