Translate

Stargazing at Mt. Puraw



We reached the top at the fall of the sun below the horizon. It was just a short climb. But with the steep sections of Mt. Puraw, the uphill slowed us down. Leaving no trace to practice proper climbing etiquette, we didn’t build a campfire as we set up our tents in the pitch-black night. Above us, the dark sky accentuates the luminous objects visible to my naked eye.

As I was gazing at the twinkling stars, there was a strong desire in my heart to look back to my dreams and ambitions I have surrendered into the hand of the God who holds together the constellations in the galaxy.

My life has been about making achievements for myself. But the call of Jesus to follow Him made a radical change in my priorities. By faith, I made a decision to pursue God’s will and plan for me... no longer mine. However, finding the will of God does not happen in a magical way. And because of my impulse to wish that my plans were His plans, I would sometimes lose sight of God’s goodness and sovereignty. While my eyes fixated on the shining stars, I silently prayed for God’s direction. It was then that Colossians 3:2 called my attention. 

“Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.” 

With the vision of God’s kingdom, the value of the corruptible things we may obtain on earth diminishes. It becomes a waste of time to invest in earthly things when we know that we can have treasures in heaven for eternity. That is the future we should anticipate.
(Matthew 6:19-20)

But, why be concerned about the heavenly things now? The imminent return of Christ marks our true citizenship. We—believers saved by the power of Jesus’ blood—have an inheritance in the kingdom of God as members of His royal family. That literally means the world is not our home. Jesus himself prepared a place for us in His Father’s house and will come again to gather His people unto Him. Naturally, our interests should be inclined to the things in heaven where we belong. (Ephesians 2:19; I Peter 1:4; I Peter 2:9; Ephesians 1:14, 18; Hebrews 9:15; John 14:2-3; Matthew 24:31)

This promise directs us on the right focus. In pursuit of heavenly things, I understood that my life should give importance to my salvation and keeping a right relationship with God, Christian service, and the work of Christ by giving to missions and going to the mission field.


The cold wind blew and the stars glowed brightly. In a tranquil moment, my heart rejoiced in the assurance that following after God’s will is not in vain. (Philippians 2:16)



Comments

Popular Posts